Trine Women's Basketball Beats Albion, 63-45
Saturday, January 18, 2020

ANGOLA, IND. -- The Trine University women's basketball team defeated Albion (Mich.) College, 63-45, in a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association game at the MTI Center.

Trine shot 46.7 percent from the field (21-of-45) and was led in scoring by sophomore Kelsy Taylor (Louisivlle, Ky./ New Albany) with game highs of 14 points on six-of-12 shooting (50.0 percent) and nine rebounds. Senior Katy Steers (Portage, Ind./Portage) was second with 12 points in addition to six rebounds and five assists. Sophomore Kayla Wildman (Rockford, Mich./Rockford) rounded out the high scorers with 11 points.

Albion (13-3, 5-2 MIAA) scored the first five points of the first quarter, but Trine (12-4, 6-1 MIAA) came right back with a layup by Taylor and then a three-pointer by Wildman to even the score at 5-5. The Thunder later took the lead thanks to another triple with the score tied at 9-9, but this time it was freshman Sophie Sloneker (Monroe, Ohio/Monroe) who connected from deep. Fellow freshman Sam Underhill (Grand Rapids, Mich./Northview) added two more points for Trine a few possessions later to increase the lead to five points, 14-9, with a little more than a minute remaining. Albion tallied the final points of the quarter on a jumper to cut the Trine lead to three points, 14-11, heading into the second frame.

The Britons made back-to-back baskets to start the second period to complete a string of six unanswered points going back to the end of the first quarter to regain the lead, 17-15, with 7:55 to go in the half. The two teams then traded leads over the course of the next several minutes until a late 8-2 scoring run by Trine that ended in a three-pointer by Wildman and capped the scoring in the first half, sent the Thunder into the locker room with a 29-23 halftime lead.

In the third quarter, Trine outscored Albion, 11-4, in the first 5:14 to extend the margin to its first double-digit advantage of the game en route to having a 13-point lead following the run by a score of 40-27 at the 4:46 mark. Albion then responded with an ensuing 7-0 run to pull to within six points, 40-34, with just over two minutes to go in the period. The lead stayed at single digits for Trine the rest of the way and had a seven-point edge, 43-36, after 30 minutes of play.

The fourth quarter saw Trine outscore Albion, 20-9, which began with an 8-0 run with six of the points scored by Steers on a three-pointer and a three-point play. Albion got to within 13 points on two occasions, but that was as close as the Britons got the remainder of the game as Trine began to pull away thanks to a 10-2 run which resulted in the Thunder's largest lead of the game at 21 points on the way to the 63-45 final.

Trine will play its next two games on the road starting with a trip to Adrian, Mich. to take on Adrian College on Wednesday, Jan. 22 with tip-off set for 7:30 p.m.