Trine’s First Half Run Results in Win Against Adrian in Men’s Basketball
Wednesday, January 15, 2020

The Trine University men's basketball team trailed by as many as eight points in the early minutes of the first half until a 24-4 scoring run put the Thunder ahead for good and led to a 75-61 win against Adrian (Mich.) College to stay unbeaten in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association.

Senior Langston Johnson (Elkhart, Ind./Elkhart Central) led all players in scoring with 28 points and scored 21 of his game-high total in the first half alone. He ended the game shooting 11-of-17 from the floor (64.7 percent) and also had five rebounds. Freshman Brent Cox (Kendallville, Ind./East Noble) also scored in double figures with 12 points and was one of three players to tally a team-high six rebounds.

Senior Marcus Winters (Toledo, Ohio/Central Catholic) rounded out the high scorers with 10 points and had a game-high seven assists to go along with six boards.

Adrian (7-7, 1-2 MIAA) jumped out to an early 10-2 lead when a layup by junior Jake Daniels (Grand Blanc, Mich./Holly) began Trine's (9-5, 3-0 MIAA) sizeable run which gave the Thunder the lead, the only lead change of the game, by a score of 26-14 following a three-pointer by Langston Johnson with 8:12 to go in the first half.

Later in the period, the Bulldogs crept back to within four points, 29-25, at the 5:39 mark until another run by Trine to end the half ended the possible rally. Leading by four points, Cox was fouled on a three-point attempt and converted all three shots to begin a 9-2 run as part of a larger 13-4 scoring streak to put Trine ahead by 13 points at the break, 42-29.

Trine looked to pull away to start the second half as a string of nine unanswered points that started with a layup by Winters with the Thunder leading by 13 points, 48-35, ended in Trine posting its largest lead of the game of 22 points with 14:34 to play following a layup by sophomore Brandan Johnson (Fort Wayne, Ind./North Side).

Adrian then answered with an ensuing 13-0 run of its own to cut the Trine lead to single figures at nine points, 57-48, at the 9:46 mark. The Bulldogs made it an eight-point game with 6:38 remaining, but that was as close as the home team got as a 7-0 Trine run that ended in a jumper by senior Maurice Hunter (Monroe, Mich./Monroe) extended the lead back to double digits by a score of 71-56.

A layup by Winters with a little over 30 seconds left made it a 17-point advantage for Trine as the Thunder would go on to win by the final of 75-61.

Trine will continue its mini two-game road trip on Saturday, Jan. 18 when the Thunder travel to Grand Rapids, Mich. for a MIAA game against Calvin College. The game is set to start at 3 p.m.