Lightning Strike Being Blamed for Saturday Night Fire
Sunday Jun 10, 2018 9:04pm
726 George Road Bronson, MI
By: Sheila McCrea
A nearby lightning strike is being blamed for a Saturday night fire.
A Bronson Firefighter noticed a glow out a window at his Noble Township residence around 9:30 p.m. Saturday evening. Firefighter Jerry Rhinehart drove to his neighbor’s house at 726 George Road to find the front side of the 3500 square foot residence engulfed in flames. He quickly contacted Branch County 911 Central Dispatch to report the fire, and then shut off the gas supply to the home.
Both the Bronson and Orland fire departments responded and used approximately 7000 gallons of water to quickly bring the blaze under control. Firefighters were on scene for 3 1/2 hours.
Damage was estimated at $200,000 to the structure and $40,000 in contents.
Bronson Fire officials say that the fire was due to an electrical short most likely caused by a lightning strike nearby.
No one was home at the time of the fire, and there were no injuries.
Lifecare Ambulance stood by at the scene and Consumers Energy responded to disconnect the electrical service.